Monday, July 21, 2008

5 days!

It has been 5 days since she took her first pill. When I say 'took her first pill' I mean had her first pill shoved down her throat while she screamed, punched and basically fought with the strength of a thousand men! By day 3, it was impossible to get the half pill anywhere near her. After much trial and error, my husband finally hit on something that has worked thus far! Crushing the pill and sprinkling it on a thin layer of Marmite and then covering it with another thin layer - she licked that stuff up!

Apart from the actual pill taking, it has been hard for me to gauge any differences in her. I believe I see them, but I know I am more than a little susceptible to a placebo effect. I hear more words and see more interaction, but is it really there? Or is it just wishful thinking? I have not told any of her teachers that she is taking this medication so I am hoping they will be better able to detect a real difference in her.

So that is where we stand right now. She is at summer school right now and seems really happy to be attending. Probably not as happy as I am, but happy nonetheless!

Oh and if anybody has any idea on how to get an autistic child to take a pill, please send them my way!!

No comments: