Monday, October 09, 2006

Flu and the autistic child

Oh boy! Just when you think you have found a way to get through the day, the old germ factory kicks it up and finds a way to make your child a little less happy. The flu bug has found the house and it is merrily making its way through my sanity and helping itself to all my energy! Like that unwelcome houseguest that finds and eats your secret stash of the good chocolate, the flu needs to get the hell out of my house and take his ass elsewhere. Alex is a 3 year old who was diagnosed with autism about 18 months ago. Since that day when the rug was ripped from under us, we have managed to find a way to get into some sort of a routine that could almost seem normal. She goes to pre-school in the mornings, we go to the park or do some other artistic endeavour on those afternoons when therapies are not scheduled and, in general, we have a pretty happy existence There are meltdowns that can sap the ever loving life out of you but the clouds part and there she is with her sunny smile to make it all seem better. The smiles and occasional hugs are what keep you going. The flu is doing its best to take those smiles but I am a strong opponent and will not be vanquished. Armed with a bevy of medicines, soft tissues and patience I must have borrowed from someone, I take on the beast and I know I will slay that bitch and get it the hell out of here. I also know it will return again as they are prone to do. It is all part of the circle and our home is warm and welcoming! . I have days when I feel the weight of unfairness on me but most days I try to see only the good parts of having Alex as my daughter. I am fortunate to have a daughter who is smart, funny, sometimes sweet and always beautiful. I just wish that we were able to find the key that will unlock those parts of her kept closed. I do think we will find it, we just need to keep trying as many keys as we can - eventually one will fit.

No comments: